“And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved…” (Acts 2:21)
Did you catch the universality of the invitation to salvation?
- Not just the saintly ones…EVERY ONE
- Not just the white people, the black people, the yellow people, the red people, or purple people…EVERY ONE
- Not just the straight ones, or the gay ones, or the we don’t mind either ones…EVERY ONE
The invitation to receive the gift of salvation is open to EVERY ONE.
AND…did you catch the absolute exclusivity of the invitation to salvation?
Everyone WHO CALLS ON THE NAME OF THE LORD will be saved.
- Not everyone is saved by default. Only those WHO CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD will be saved.
- You have to call on Jesus. You have to call on the name of the Lord.
- Did you know every time you utter Jesus, you are literally saying “Save me”? The name Jesus, in the Greek is “Ihsus”, which is a derivative of the Hebrew “Yeshua”.
- Both “Ihsus” and “Yeshua” literally means “Savior”, “Deliverer”, “Rescuer”
- Every time you utter the name of Jesus, you are literally saying “Save me.”
In Acts 4:12 we are told, “Salvation is found in non one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to humankind by which we must be saved.”
The pathway to salvation is through Jesus and Jesus alone. It is absolutely exclusive. And yet, this pathway to salvation is open to all. Salvation is universally available to all who will call on the name of the Lord.