“Seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well” (Matthew 6:33).
Before the days of satellites and GPS the only way for sailors to get their bearing out at sea was by “shooting” the sun. Only by locating the sun and their position to it could sailors figure out where they were and which direction they were to sail in order to reach their destination.
Without the sun, they were hopelessly lost.
What was true for sailors is true for us. The only way for us to find our bearings is by looking at God.
Without the Son, we are hopelessly lost.
So, how does this work in real life? What does it mean to seek God first?
There are times when there are more uncertainties than there is clarity. Have you ever found yourself in a situation where you didn’t know where to go, what is best, which way to turn? What do you do when you don’t know?
This is where seeking God first comes to play.
When you find yourself in a situation where you don’t know, stick to what you know. Fall back on the things you know with absolute certainty and do those things. In time, as you are busy doing what you know uncertainties become clear.
So, what are some things you know with absolute certainty?
- God loves you. God wants what is best for you. God knows better than you what is the best for you
- Since that is the case, worship him, read his book, pray to him. There is never a time when this is not God’s will for you.
- You married? Stay absolutely faithful to your spouse. Love them. Serve them. There is never a time when this is not God’s will for you.
- Single? Stay chaste and holy. There is never a time when this is not God’s will for you.
- Love God and serve others. There is never a time when this is not God’s will for you.
- The list could go on and on. You know what belongs on this list of certainties.
You see, even in those times when we don’t know what to do with certain particulars, there is much we do know. In times of uncertainty, turn to what you do know and do those things.