“I can’t wait for things to get back to normal.”
I get why people say this. This has been a difficult season for our church, our country, and our world.
Who knew that when we gathered to worship on the first week of March that would be the last time we would be together as a congregation for months!
On the first Sunday of March:
- The global pandemic was just starting to close things down in the United States and the state of Washington was one of the first states to prohibit gatherings of more than 10 people
- George Floyd was still alive
- The protests for Black Lives Matter and for ethical and just policing hadn’t taken place
- The stock market was still on a roll setting market highs
- The unemployment rate in the United States was 2.9%
If we go back to the church we were on the first Sunday of March, it would be a crying shame!
Too much has changed. There is too much pain and discord in our world.
The day will soon come when we will be able to gather to worship. And when we do:
- I pray that you and I are a church that brings healing to a country torn asunder by division
- I pray that you and are part of the solution because in Christ there is no Jew or Greek, slave or free, male or female for Christ has made all one. The local church that proclaims this pure, unadulterated gospel of Jesus Christ is the hope of the world!
- I pray that the Little Church and Lakewoodgrace demonstrates the grace of Jesus Christ in such a way that people of all backgrounds, all previous hurts and pains, all past baggage are welcomed and can begin their journey toward healing, wellness, and shalom
This season has provided the church the most fantastic opportunity to be the church and be God’s instrument to establish his kingdom here on earth as it is in heaven.
The day will come when we will be together again. And if we are to be a part of God’s plan to bring healing to our land, we need to prepare right now.
How do we do that? We must grow and mature in our faith. God has given us everything we need in his word to do that. I challenge you to go into a season of training.
- “Like newborn infants, long for the pure, spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow into salvation – if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good” (1 Peter 2:2-3)
- “All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, so that everyone who belongs to God may be proficient, equipped for every good work” (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
The key is God’s word. Commit to growing up in your faith by the daily intake of God’s word and by the weekly hearing of God’s word preached.
I can’t wait for the day when we can worship together! I long for a day when we can worship the risen Lord Jesus Christ, the hope of the world! Let us prepare for the day when God will be using congregations ready to be a part of God’s solution to this hurting world.