“Sing aloud to God our strength; shout for joy to the God of Jacob” (Psalm 81:1)
Jacob? Why Jacob?
I can think of so many better, more qualified, worthier candidates than Jacob in the Bible. Abraham, Moses, Joseph, David, Isaiah, Samuel, Noah, Adam, and so many others.
Why does God keep referring to himself as the “God of Jacob”?
Jacob wasn’t the nicest guy.
- He entered the world holding onto the heel of his brother. Jacob literally means heel grabber
- He stole the right to be first born from Esau
- He tricked his father into blessing him instead of his older brother
- He gained a vast wealth by tricking his father-in-law’s family
- He played favorites among his sons
- He was not the best husband nor father
Sheesh! And that’s just the beginning of the reasons why Jacob is such a flawed character.
A flawed character…
That’s precisely why God refers to himself as the God of Jacob. God’s choosing of Jacob had nothing to do with Jacob’s worthiness. It had everything to do with God’s grace and favor.
And did you know that’s why God loves flawed characters like you and me? It has nothing to do with our worthiness. God’s love for us has everything to do with God’s grace and favor.
Thank you, God!
God of Jacob. God of James. God of Brad. God of Lisa. God of Becky. God of Jan, Rex, Teri, Alan, Sharon, Amy, Bob, Bill, Shirley, Deanna, Kay, Jean, Cathy, Rick, Gayle…