I suck at waiting.
Waiting doesn’t look like what people think waiting looks like. You see, there are different types of waiting.
- There is waiting for the doctor in the waiting room
- There is waiting in line for the ride at Disneyland
- There is waiting for the person who can’t decide what they want at Starbucks
Then there is a waiting that often times lasts not minutes or even hours. There is a waiting that lasts for seasons of life.
I suck at waiting.
I don’t like waiting in doctor’s rooms, Disneyland, and at Starbucks. But, most of all, I hate going through seasons of waiting.
But going through seasons of waiting is a part of what it means to be human.
Waiting – the season of waiting – is a very natural part of being human. Unlike waiting at the doctor’s office or at Disneyland, going through seasons of waiting is neither passive or accidental. In fact, one often finds themselves quite busy and engaged while going through seasons of waiting.
In fact, there is a way to wait that is both God-honoring and intentional and purposeful.
The biggest secret to going through seasons of waiting is that what we do while we wait has an awesome impact on the kind of future we will live into.
You see, if one does not live, manage, and lead well in the present, the future will not look anything you imagine or hope it will be.
In fact, if one messes up the present, the future will be a nightmare of heartache and disappointment. In order to live into the desired future, we must live, manage, and lead well in the present.
- If you’re a student, be awesome at the student thing. Learn, grow in knowledge and wisdom, gain experience. That will set you up for the next season of your life
- If you’re hoping to marry one day, be awesome at building up your character and integrity. Grow into the kind of man/woman that the person of your dreams would want to marry
- If you’re an engineer, mechanic, teacher, dad, mom, son, daughter, etc., live, manage, and lead well in the present so that everything that God has in plan for the future can be your reality
Whatever season you find yourself live, manage, and lead well in the present. Be absolutely intentional and purposeful as you wait for God’s desired future for you.
I suck at waiting. I hate waiting.
But waiting is all I can do in the present. So I choose to rock my season of waiting!
How about you?